Rap My Name [Free Music Tech Lesson Plan]

Rap My Name [Free Music Tech Lesson Plan]

Rap My Name Free Music Technology Lesson Plan

Free Music Technology Lesson Plans

This is the first of a new ongoing series of more “formal” lesson plans that suggest simple ways to incorporate technology into music lessons.  I’m aiming to map each lesson to the US and Australian national standards for music education (UK coming soon too!).

I’d love to know what you think about that idea: is it useful for you? What types of things would you like to see?  Leave a comment below letting me know what you think.

Lesson: Rap My Name – I Like That

This lesson plan works well with grade 2-8 and can be adapted in many ways.  It’s a good activity for the beginning of the year when you’re trying to learn new students’ names!

Grade level

Grades 2-8

Objective

Students will write a 4-measure name rap within the specified structure and create a rhythmic backing to accompany themselves.

Music Education Standards

USA

• 1. Singing alone and with others, a varied repertoire
  • 4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines

Australia

• 4.3 Create, perform and record compositions by selecting and organising sounds, silence, tempo and volume
  • 6.3 Rehearse and perform music, including music they have composed, by improvising, sourcing and arranging ideas and making decisions to engage an audience
  • 8.2 Develop musical ideas, such as mood, by improvising, combining and manipulating the elements of music
  • 8.5 Perform and present a range of music, using techniques and expression appropriate to style

New Zealand Curriculum Level 4

• DI Developing Ideas in Music – students will use musical elements, instruments and technologies to improvise and compose simple musical pieces
  • CI Communicating and Interpreting in Music – students will prepare, rehearse, present and evaluate brief music performances
  • UC Understanding Music In Context – Students will identify and investigate characteristics of music associated with particular contexts, purposes and styles in past and present cultures

Materials/Equipment

• Computer, iPad or other tablet device
  • Music software, app or website that allows you to create a rhythmic accompaniment
  • Rap structure template
  • Smartphone, iPad, or other tablet to video-record performances (optional)

Duration

1-2 lessons

Skills Required

Speaking lyrics in time to a beat

Procedure

Part 1: Preparation

As a group, keep a steady beat using body percussion. Practice saying the name rap over the steady beat – use the samples below or ask students to make up their own.

Part 2: Write the rap

Ask students to write a rap using their own name, based on the structure provided below.  They can work individually or in pairs (one student can keep a steady beat while the other practices saying their name rap)

Rap Structure

Tempo 80-90 BPM

Hey I’m ________ and I like to ___________

(in second line, say something about thing you like. The final word in this line should rhyme with the end of line 1)

I like that

Oh yeah, I like that

Listening example:

Notation:

Rap my name notation

Example 1: (by a grade 3 student)

Hey I’m Josh and I like to sing

It sounds croaky in the morning but I am the king

I like that

Oh yeah, I like that

Example 2:

Hey I’m Ava and I like the color blue

It makes me happy, so what you gonna do?

I like that

Oh yeah, I like that

Part 3: Create a rhythmic accompaniment

Using your chosen music software, app or website, create an 8-measure rhythmic accompaniment to go with the rap.

Note: 8 measures of rhythmic accompaniment will give students a two-measure introduction before they start rapping, and a two-measure outro at the end.

Option 1: Desktop software

• Launch your choice of software (such as GarageBand, Mixcraft, Soundation, Soundtrap)
  • Set the tempo to approx 80 BPM
  • Audition drum loops and select a suitable one to go with the rap
  • Drag the loop on to the project area and extend it until it is 8 measures in length

Option 2: GarageBand on iPad

• Open the GarageBand app and create a new song
  • Select the Smart Drums
  • Choose a drum kit and drag instruments on to the grid to build up a rhythmic pattern
  • Press Record and record 8 measures

Option 3: Groove Pizza

• Visit Groove Pizza (free online rhythmic step sequencer)
  • Set the tempo to 80 BPM
  • Build up a rhythmic pattern by clicking on the dots on the “pizza” or in the drum pattern grid (it’s a good idea to start with the bass drum on beats 1 and 3 and the snare on beats 2 and 4 and then add other sounds

Related: for other rhythmic accompaniment options, see How To Make A Funky Beat In 30 Seconds

Part 4: Perform the rap

Start the rhythmic accompaniment and after two measures, start saying the rap.  There will be a two measure outro at the end.

Video-record the student performances using a Smartphone, iPad or other tablet or camera.

Extensions

• If your music software/app allows, add an audio track and record the rap part over the backing. Other instrumental backing parts can be added as well: bass line, keyboard part, strings and so on.
  • Older students can create a drum part from scratch using a software instrument: add a drum track, record a 1 or 2 measure loop and then extend the length of the recorded loop to 8 measures
  • Notate the rap using stick notation: use pencil and paper, notation software such as Noteflight, Sibelius, Finale or MuseScore, or apps such as NotateMe or Notion (Noteflight is also an excellent choice for iPads and other tablets).

Evaluation

The students can successfully perform their name rap over the top of their rhythmic accompaniment.

PDF preview rap my name tornDownload this lesson plan

Would you like a downloadable copy of this lesson plan?  Click on the button below, fill out your details and the lesson plan will be sent straight to your email inbox.
Download lesson plan

Want to see more of these?

Would you like more of these downloadable lesson plans? Let me know in the comments below. Perhaps you have some suggestions for future lesson plan ideas?

If you have friends or colleagues that you think would benefit from this lesson, please share this by posting it on Facebook or pinning it to Pinterest. I’d love to spread the word and help out as many music teachers as possible.

By | 2017-08-09T21:20:29+00:00 August 20th, 2015|Lesson plans and ideas, Music Tech Tips|24 Comments

1. Wendy Mulligan August 21, 2015 at 8:24 am - Reply

Thanks for this, Katie! I think my students will have fun trying this out for a beginning of year project. You inspired me to try making my own sample one with Soundtrap, which I’ve been meaning to explore for ages! I’m pretty happy with how it all went.
    I teach many kids who are very reserved and it’s often difficult to get them making their own sound. I’m hoping this project, which I’ll let them record privately, will help them get past their inhibitions.

• Katie August 21, 2015 at 10:28 am - Reply

You’re welcome Wendy! Happy to hear you’ve been giving Soundtrap a go. I need to play with it more too.
      One other thing that helps shy kids: once they’ve recorded their voice part, they can add an effect to the track to alter the sound a bit (if your software/app has that option). You can make the voice sound a little distorted or like a chipmunk or like it’s in a big room, or apply an autotune effect etc. Applying an effect disguises the voice enough that they feel less self-concious.

– Katie

2. Lisa August 22, 2015 at 12:36 am - Reply

Hi Katie – thanks so much for this resource – the kids will love it!
    I’m having trouble downloading the full lesson plan. I’ve tried to download it to 2 different email addresses but still haven’t received it. Would you please be able to email it to me when you get a moment?
    Many thanks!
    Cheers,
    Lisa 🙂

• Katie September 9, 2015 at 9:05 am - Reply

Hi Lisa. Sorry to hear you’ve had trouble. I’ve just sent it to this email address, so hopefully you’ll receive it OK.
      – Katie

3. Paula Ransom August 22, 2015 at 3:02 am - Reply

I can’t wait to try this with 6th grade students on Monday!

• Katie September 9, 2015 at 9:02 am - Reply

Let me know how it goes Paula. You could come back and leave a little report as a comment here. I’d love to hear 🙂

4. Sara Dawson August 25, 2015 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the lesson! I’ve been interested in using technology more with my Special Needs students and this is a great intro! 🙂

Sara

• Katie September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am - Reply

Thanks Sara 🙂 Let me know how it goes if you try it.

– Katie

5. Jen August 27, 2015 at 2:57 am - Reply

Thank you so much for this fabulous integrated lesson! I look forward to trying it out with my junior students this fall.
    Cheers,
    Jen

• Katie September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am - Reply

Thanks Jen! I’d love to hear how it works out with your students.

– Katie

6. Jennifer September 23, 2015 at 10:10 pm - Reply

This looks like the perfect lesson plan for my students who have been working on name chants. Adding in the tech aspect to their lessons will greatly enhance their learning experience.
    I’m having trouble downloading the lesson to my email address so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

7. Bruce September 24, 2015 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Hi! Cool audio of the student’s work. How long does it take to get the downloadable lesson plan after clicking the button?

• Katie October 9, 2015 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Hi Bruce – it usually arrives straight away, but sometimes after a few minutes. Just check your spam folder in case it ended up there instead

8. Jan Lawrence October 19, 2015 at 9:46 pm - Reply

HI Katie

I’m teaching in a school where 95% of the students speak another language. It was a real challenge to have them rhyme. But I was open about the rhyming aspect. They loved using GarageBand and they loved the fun of writing about themselves. It was also an easy way for me to continue my technology journey. Thank you. JL

• Katie November 5, 2015 at 9:36 pm - Reply

Hi Jan – thanks so much for writing to let me know that it worked. That’s so good to hear!

9. Sharon November 5, 2015 at 9:54 am - Reply

This is exactly the type of thing i need. Step by step and how to introduce concepts to students and use 1:1 iPads. In general people mention apps that are good but there is no “how to” on actually using it. I can search all afternoon about various things to use but it is hard to implement them directly into a lesson or theme without a plan! I hope you have more of these….this is what I need!

• Katie November 5, 2015 at 9:21 pm - Reply

Thanks Sharon! It’s always that type of information that I’m looking for too and it’s very difficult to find anywhere. That’s why I started created lesson plans and project ideas myself. If you’d like more lesson plan ideas, I have a collection of 22 (which have written instructions, but also videos as well) in the iPad Projects For The Music Classroom ebook.

10. Sinead February 1, 2016 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Thanks Katie. We have one ipad for the class. This is a great way to make it work for everyone. Thanks for doing the hard work of putting in the learning standards!
    Sinead

• Katie April 6, 2016 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Thanks Sinead 🙂

11. […] >>Click here to download your copy<< Favourite New Features 1. The graphic user interface has had a make-over and the new look and feel of MuseScore is clean and pleasing on the eye. 2. Similar to the inspector panel you find in Microsoft Word MuseScore’s Inspector gives you quick and easy access to the settings for the currently-selected element in your score. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. Save Time With Tutorial Videos. Rap My Name [Free Music Tech Lesson Plan] | Midnight Music. […]

12. Daniel June 20, 2016 at 9:13 am - Reply

Hi Katie! I am working on a grad class in technology, and I appreciate that you have this lesson as an available resource for my portfolio. Keep up the good work!

• Katie June 21, 2016 at 8:40 am - Reply

Thanks Daniel! Good luck with the class 🙂

13. MUSIKA LEHENENGO EGUNA | Pearltrees August 29, 2016 at 1:44 am - Reply

[…] Rap My Name [Free Music Tech Lesson Plan] | Midnight Music. Free Music Technology Lesson Plans This is the first of a new ongoing series of more “formal” lesson plans that suggest simple ways to incorporate technology into music lessons. I’m aiming to map each lesson to the US and Australian national standards for music education (UK coming soon too!). I’d love to know what you think about that idea: is it useful for you? What types of things would you like to see? Leave a comment below letting me know what you think. […]

14. […] school music therapy ideas, trying to find something new and engaging. And suddenly I came across a music education post about using music software to write an “about me” rap, complete with notation and a fantastic example on Soundcloud. That was it! I snatched up the idea […]