The Big Free Music Notation Image Library

The Big Free Music Notation Image Library

Free Music Notation Images

Images, Images, Images

So I decided to make some myself.

Sharp

Bass Clef

Crotchet

Quaver single

Well, it started simple

More than 150 free music notation images

I thought that I would just do the common rhythmic elements: crotchet, quaver, minim, semibreve and the equivalent rests. And then I thought I had better add in some clefs, staves lines and a few different bar lines. Then perhaps headless versions of the rhythmic values. And before you know it, I ended up with a whole collection.

A library even. Of more than 150 music notation images.

And then I decided that I may as well share it with everyone.

A few examples of use

Clap this rhythm example

Name this song example

Example 3

8 Ways to use your notation images

1. To create worksheets

2. To create posters for your music classroom

3. In your interactive whiteboard software

4. In Powerpoint or Keynote presentations

5. To make flashcards

6. To make your own digital or printable music games

7. To use in screencasting/whiteboard apps on the iPad

8. When creating quizzes using a free tool like Kahoot

Related: Learn Just 5 Tips To Create Your Own Awesome Music Resources

Download the music notation library

Update April 2016:

By request, I have now added a few more elements into the notation library. These include:

• A natural sign
  • A series of dynamics
  • A filled-in stemless notehead
  • Some other miscellaneous items including a coda, segno, upbow and downbow

If you have already downloaded the library in the past and would like these new elements, please simply download the complete library again using the download button at the bottom of this post.

– Katie

Please note: the music notation library is in a ZIP file.  It is best to download and unzip the file on your laptop or desktop computer (ie. not your iPad) before using it.

In your download:

1. A set of small images which are good for Word documents, presentations (Powerpoint), for using in DIY online quizzes such as Kahoot or Plickers
  2. A set of large images which are suitable for posters and other large-size printed things
  3. This download includes the new elements that have been added in 2016 (including a natural sign, dynamics, a filled in stemless notehead and some other miscellaneous items)
Big free music notation library from Midnight Music

I hope you find them useful! If you’ve used them to create your own resources, let me know how in the comments below.

Guitar and ukelele chord images

Update: I’ve now also created a collection of 36 Free Guitar Chord Images and a collection of 22 Ukelele Chord Images.

By | 2017-02-23T15:19:38+00:00 June 22nd, 2013|Music Tech Tips, Music Technology Resources|104 Comments

1. Art Greenberg June 25, 2013 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Outstanding! I am always looking for notation that i can use in my presentations.
    You are the best.

Art G
    @ArtTG

• Katie June 26, 2013 at 11:18 am - Reply

Thanks Art!

2. Liz June 26, 2013 at 1:53 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing these files! They will be so useful. Thanks!

• Katie June 26, 2013 at 11:18 am - Reply

Thanks Liz!

3. Debbie O'Shea June 28, 2013 at 9:49 am - Reply

WOW Katie.
    As usual – fantastically useful resource!
    Debbie

• Katie June 28, 2013 at 10:28 am - Reply

Thanks Debbie!

4. Barb June 28, 2013 at 10:36 am - Reply

These are great for me. I love them! Thank you.

• Katie June 28, 2013 at 10:45 am - Reply

You’re welcome Barb 🙂

5. joan robson June 28, 2013 at 10:50 am - Reply

Hello Katie.
    I have just retired after 32 years of music teaching. I am not sure what tomorrow brings, but would like to continue receiving your emails…so am now giving my personal email, as I soon will not receive district email.
    Thank you.

• Katie June 28, 2013 at 10:58 am - Reply

Hi Joan,
      Thanks – I’ve updated your email address. I wish you all the best for a relaxing retirement! – Katie

6. Kees Dogger June 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm - Reply

These are great – they will look fantastic in my whiteboard presentations. Thanks.

• Katie June 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Thanks Kees – they do work well in IWB files. I’ve been using them quite a bit!

7. Jandy Lowe June 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Thank you Katie. What an amazingly useful resource. You are a star

• Katie June 29, 2013 at 7:26 am - Reply

Thanks Jandy 🙂

8. Ruth Thompson June 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm - Reply

Thanks Katie for such a terrific set of images and your generosity in sharing them. Fantastic. Ruth

• Katie June 29, 2013 at 7:26 am - Reply

Thanks Ruth – glad you like them.

9. Julie Sorcek June 28, 2013 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Yes, Katie, another terrific resource to use! Thanks for sharing it with us!

• Katie June 29, 2013 at 7:26 am - Reply

You’re welcome Julie!

10. Celeste Dos Santos June 29, 2013 at 12:54 am - Reply

Does anybody had any problem to download and open with Dropbox? helppppp…..

• Katie June 29, 2013 at 7:27 am - Reply

Hi Celeste – I’ve sent you an email. It might be the un-zipping of the files that’s a problem – ?

11. Martie Mutz June 29, 2013 at 12:07 pm - Reply

This is great, Katie! One-stop for all I need. THANKS!!! I can think of a worksheet I’ve been trying to create and when I used music fonts they are so quirky with spacing — not allowing me to line things up the way I wanted. This will take care of that problem. Really appreciate it!

• Katie June 30, 2013 at 7:38 am - Reply

You’re welcome Martie!

12. Joanna June 30, 2013 at 4:49 am - Reply

Wow, thank you!

• Katie June 30, 2013 at 7:38 am - Reply

Thanks Joanna

13. lynda irvine June 30, 2013 at 7:28 am - Reply

Thanks Katie.

• Katie June 30, 2013 at 7:38 am - Reply

You’re welcome Lynda

14. Celine Bowman July 3, 2013 at 7:56 am - Reply

WOW! Absolutely fabulous!! Thank you. Katie. So comprehensive & neatly organised – do you know how much time this will save ?! I’ll bless you every time I use these (which will be often!!)

• Katie July 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Thanks Celine – you’re lovely!

15. Margaret-Mary July 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing – although not a muso, a PE teacher needing ideas for dance and creating music for specific purposes always comes in handy. Thanks for the app ideas

• Katie July 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm - Reply

Thanks Margaret-Mary!

16. Jenny Dixon July 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Thank you Katie. I am always forgetting to save/file my images in the same place so end up in recreating them all the time. Now you have them all filed neatly for me. Maybe I will be able to find them now when I want them!!

• Katie July 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm - Reply

I’m happy to help Jenny – enjoy!

17. Ros Burkett July 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Hi Katie,
    Just the thing to get me started using the white board and the Interwrite Workspace program which is available on my work laptop and of course the other uses you have suggested.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Ros B

18. Julie L July 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Your generosity is fantastic. As were your sessions in Maryborough!
    Thanks so much Katie

• Katie July 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Thanks Julie. Maryborough was a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to the 2015 event!
      – Katie

19. Beryl Wiezel July 21, 2013 at 7:28 am - Reply

Thanks so much for sharing this Katie. I’m still getting my head around all the info you gave us at the Mackay workshop but I’ll get there 🙂

20. margaret Conyers July 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Thank you Katie, those downloads will be very useful…see you Monday, cheers, Margaret

21. Kirrabelle July 28, 2013 at 10:20 pm - Reply

Wow!! Thanks so much Katie! I’m looking forward to making myself some awesome new resources for my primary music teaching. 🙂

22. Magdalena Noblejas Araneta September 20, 2013 at 10:45 am - Reply

Thanks you for posting these notes. They are very helpful.

23. Wendy/me November 8, 2013 at 10:00 am - Reply

Katie, thanks for the terrific products. Would you be willing to add the natural sign to the sharp and flat file? It is the sign my young students most often forget.
    The best to you! Sincerely, Wendy Thatcher Hall Appleton Village School, Appleton, Me.

• Katie November 12, 2013 at 8:40 am - Reply

Hi Wendy – thanks! Good idea. I’ll create the natural sign and add it into the bundle (I’ll try to remember to email you directly to let you know as well!). – Katie

24. Jenn February 6, 2014 at 2:56 pm - Reply

These are amazing. I have been trying to piece together a collection out of “spare parts” but these all match! Any chance you’d add a set of dynamic markings?

• Katie February 13, 2014 at 8:02 am - Reply

Thanks Jenn! Yes – I’ve been thinking of adding a few extra bits and pieces (I think I forgot the natural sign in the original collection!). I’d be happy to add dynamics as well. – Katie

• Jenn February 5, 2016 at 2:34 am - Reply

Did the dynamics ever develop?

25. Mitzi August 3, 2014 at 2:30 am - Reply

Thanks for helping me get our teachers ready for school! These are wonderful!

• Katie August 6, 2014 at 7:17 am - Reply

Thanks Mitzi – and you’re welcome! – Katie

26. Hanis November 23, 2014 at 1:04 am - Reply

Hi, Im creating music notation software in my bachelor work on VSB – Technical University of Ostrava. It will help me a lot. Thx.

27. jan November 30, 2014 at 8:45 pm - Reply

These are brilliant. I am a visiting music teacher and your symbols will change my life. I have copied the ones I need into a word doc and will use them for white board teaching and worksheets. Thank you so much for putting them out there.

• Katie January 25, 2015 at 8:49 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Jan!
      – Katie

28. Phil Rooke December 10, 2014 at 7:17 am - Reply

Yet another very useful resource Katie. I did have some notation graphics on my studio computer but needed something in a hurry for a lesson observation today and this really did the trick. Thanks again for the great work you do and your generous nature in sharing with fellow educators.

• Katie January 13, 2015 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Hi Phil – thanks so much for the kind words. I’m glad it was a help.
      – Katie

29. Patrick Lollis December 27, 2014 at 6:18 am - Reply

Great resource, thank you! would you consider letting someone use the images on something they might sell?

• Katie January 13, 2015 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Hi Patrick – sorry for the delay in replying! Yes, I’m more than happy for you to use the images on items you or someone else sells. A mention of my website and a link back would be appreciated 🙂
      – Katie

30. Nancy Spasic December 27, 2014 at 8:52 am - Reply

Wow, what a nice gift gift you’re giving us. I teach elementary music K-4 in a public school. Teachers have so little time to make, plan, do and follow through…I’m looking forward to your download. The work you’ve done was very precise and will help greatly.

• Katie January 13, 2015 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Thank you Nancy! Happy to help 🙂
      – Katie

31. Sandy December 28, 2014 at 2:18 am - Reply

Thank you so much for the images! I want to be sure of how to find them later when I want to use them. I have downloaded them to my MacBook. Where is the best place to put the folders of images? (I’m not exactly tech savvy, but I’m trying to be) Thank you again!

• Katie January 13, 2015 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Hi Sandy – it’s up to you really, but I would probably set up a folder called “music resources” or something similar inside my Documents folder. If you like, you can then open the Finder, locate the Music Resources folder and then drag it to your sidebar in the Finder (the list of folder and locations down the left side) so that it’s really easy to find when you need it. I do that with all of my frequently used folders on my Mac. My other tip would be to make use of the Spotlight search function – it makes it very easy to find anything on your Mac. Just type a word or two like “notation library” and the folder should pop up in the list.
      – Katie

32. Frank January 29, 2015 at 10:28 pm - Reply

I’m your latest fan — all the way down in Brazil, where I’m teaching young children. With Acrobat and your symbol images, I’m easily able to create some large-sized staff examples for the kids to work with.
    Bravo, and thanks!

• Katie January 30, 2015 at 11:48 am - Reply

Thank you Frank-from-Brazil! Good to hear from you 🙂
      – Katie

33. Jessica February 27, 2015 at 7:26 am - Reply

Thank you very much for this ressource! It’s exactly what I need.

34. Satoru April 20, 2015 at 11:56 pm - Reply

Hi Katie,

Thank you very much for your sharing these useful images! I used them in an iPhone/iPad app, ‘Sight Singing’, and mentioned your website and put a link to it in the app’s description. (It is found at https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/sight-singing/id966765346 if you are interested in it.) I really appreciate your valuable resources!

Thanks,
    Satoru

• Katie April 25, 2015 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Thanks for letting me know Satoru! I’ll take a look at the app.

All the best
      Katie

35. Dolly August 17, 2015 at 4:22 pm - Reply

Thank you for posting these music resources. It helped me a lot especially in my music class. God bless you all. I hope you will post more.

• Katie August 20, 2015 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Thanks Dolly!

36. Ernesto August 24, 2015 at 3:56 am - Reply

Great resources! Very appreciated!!
    I’ll share your website with my music teachers colleagues.
    Thanks for your generosity!

• Katie September 9, 2015 at 9:01 am - Reply

Thanks Ernesto!

37. Chris October 22, 2015 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Nice to find something for music teachers that is actually “free”. I scoured the internet for notation symbols, and these are the best available!

Thanks so much!

• Katie November 5, 2015 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Thanks so much Chris! I’m happy you like them. There was a little trial and error in getting them to look good 🙂

38. Karen November 4, 2015 at 9:34 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing. The music notations are especially helpful in creating my SLO tests for band students.

• Katie November 5, 2015 at 9:22 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Karen. Glad they helped!

39. Missy November 9, 2015 at 5:38 am - Reply

This has created a WONDERFUL addition to my lessons! These images are AMAZING!!!!!
    Thanks for making these so GREAT!!!!

• Katie December 1, 2015 at 7:29 am - Reply

You’re welcome Missy! I’m happy you found them useful 🙂

40. Kristen Basore December 22, 2015 at 9:56 am - Reply

From a first year studio teacher, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I’m in the process of turning a plain and boring studio into a place where my students WANT to learn and grow!

Happy Holidays! 🙂

Kristen Basore

• Katie December 23, 2015 at 11:49 am - Reply

You’re very welcome Kristen!! Happy holidays to you too 🙂

41. nancy December 30, 2015 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Comment…great thanks Katie was stranded on how to get these resources be blessd

• Katie January 5, 2016 at 2:26 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Nancy. I’m happy they helped

42. Chris Terry January 8, 2016 at 8:33 pm - Reply

It won’t download onto my tablet. Any ideas?

• Katie January 12, 2016 at 9:41 am - Reply

Hi Chris – are you using an Android tablet? Or something else? It’s possible that it’s because it’s a ZIP file. It’s best to download on to a desktop or laptop computer, unzip the file and then transfer the unzipped files to your tablet. There are many separate image files in the download, so zipping them was the best way to share them. – Katie

43. Lyndi March 2, 2016 at 4:46 am - Reply

Thank you so so much, Katie. I am using it in my classes in Port Elizabeth, South Africa! You are a gem.

• Katie March 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm - Reply

Thanks Lyndi! I love hearing where people are located 🙂

44. Jenny April 28, 2016 at 9:42 am - Reply

Thanks Katie!! I know it’s awful to be asking MORE once you’ve done so much…(!) but any chance of one for articulation?! staccato, gliss, a few notes slurred, trill, grace notes, accents, tenuto?!

Thanks for all your amazing work. Very useful!

Jenn

• Katie May 17, 2016 at 9:50 am - Reply

They will have to wait until the next update! Slurs and glissandos – not really possible because they need to extend between notes and the contour or length changes completely depending on the piece of music. You might be better off making your own versions of that for the specific examples you have in mind 🙂

45. TNI musique | Pearltrees April 28, 2016 at 1:54 pm - Reply

[…] More than 150 music notation images – free download | Midnight Music. Images, Images, Images When creating resources for workshops and online courses I find myself constantly in need of images, images….and more images. First, there’s a need for images of music instruments, or composers, or snippets of scores, and there’s often a need for notation images. […]

46. Musique notation | Pearltrees April 28, 2016 at 1:56 pm - Reply

47. Música-Educación | Pearltrees April 29, 2016 at 1:36 am - Reply

[…] More than 150 music notation images – free download | Midnight Music. […]

48. Jeux musicaux | Pearltrees April 29, 2016 at 12:46 pm - Reply

[…] More than 150 music notation images – free download | Midnight Music. Images, Images, Images When creating resources for workshops and online courses I find myself constantly in need of images, images….and more images. First, there’s a need for images of music instruments, or composers, or snippets of scores, and there’s often a need for notation images. And I can be fussy when it comes to notation images: I really like the notes to be clear, crisp at the edges when enlarged and preferably with a transparent background (which means they can be easily placed on top of a stave without blocking out half of the staves lines). So I decided to make some myself. Well, it started simple I thought that I would just do the common rhythmic elements: crotchet, quaver, minim, semibreve and the equivalent rests. […]

49. […] More than 150 music notation images – free download | Midnight Music. Images, Images, Images When creating resources for workshops and online courses I find myself constantly in need of images, images….and more images. First, there’s a need for images of music instruments, or composers, or snippets of scores, and there’s often a need for notation images. And I can be fussy when it comes to notation images: I really like the notes to be clear, crisp at the edges when enlarged and preferably with a transparent background (which means they can be easily placed on top of a stave without blocking out half of the staves lines). […]

50. Tim May 26, 2016 at 2:57 am - Reply

Katie, thanks for taking the time to make and share these!

• Katie June 6, 2016 at 12:27 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Tim 🙂

51. Music Curriculum | Pearltrees May 27, 2016 at 4:25 pm - Reply

[…] This Story, Choose Your Platform! More than 150 music notation images – free download | Midnight Music. Images, Images, Images When creating resources for workshops and online courses I find myself […]

52. TERESA RAMEY July 4, 2016 at 11:50 am - Reply

THANK YOU SO MUCH. THIS IS A BLESSING AND A GOD SEND. 🙂 I REALLY APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE HERE.

53. Josiane August 29, 2016 at 5:09 am - Reply

This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your hard work with us!

• Katie August 30, 2016 at 4:18 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Josiane!

54. C. Wickham September 1, 2016 at 4:50 am - Reply

Any chance of providing TAB graphics?

• Katie September 5, 2016 at 10:39 am - Reply

I’ve done a set of guitar chord graphics which you can find here, but no plans to do single-note TAB graphics at this stage.

55. David September 1, 2016 at 11:42 pm - Reply

Great resource, and not just for music teachers! I teach mobile phone programming and found these images allowed me to set exercises for my students that were more interesting than the ones they would find in their usual textbooks.

• Katie September 5, 2016 at 10:35 am - Reply

Thanks David – great to hear!

56. Ryan December 9, 2016 at 10:06 pm - Reply

This is fantastic I’ve been looking for something like this everywhere. I couldn’t find anything near this comprehensive, consistent and with such high quality. It covers everything I need to make presentations. Thank you so much your great! 🙂

• Katie December 13, 2016 at 9:09 pm - Reply

You’re welcome Ryan! Thanks for the lovely feedback 🙂

57. […] The Big Free Music Notation Image Library […]

58. Blanca Bishop March 7, 2017 at 4:18 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Katie! I just got a Mimio board and have been looking for music notation to use in making lessons. this will be perfect!

• Katie March 7, 2017 at 12:55 pm - Reply

Good to hear Blanca! I think you’ll enjoy making your own resources 🙂

59. Monica March 13, 2017 at 3:20 pm - Reply

This is so fantastic – I need this right now! It’s so difficult to find the right graphics sometimes – often without the correct resolution. This is perfect for all the worksheets I’m creating at the moment. Thanks a million!

• Katie March 13, 2017 at 10:44 pm - Reply

I’m happy they’re useful Monica! That was the problem I found too – there wasn’t the right sort of images available. That’s why I ended up creating my own collection