Our theme for this month is free music tech resources and in this episode I share 9 different places you can find free sound effects for music tech projects your students might be working on.
I’ll also cover:
- Tips on how to expand a limited sound effects library without downloading any extras
- Why it’s good for students to make their own
- Example projects involving sound effects
Sound effects articles, podcast episodes and videos
- Andrew Huang Donald Trump Sniff video
- Kurt Hugo Schneider IKEA video
- Blog post: Free NASA Sound Effects And How To Use Them In Music Education
- Podcast: Free NASA Sound Effects And How To Use Them In Music Education
- Ultimate Free Music Technology Resources Guide
- How to Record Students in a Noisy Classroom
Free sound effects sites
Note that many sites require you to set up a free account in order to download sound effects. Make sure you check the license for any sound effects you download since some require attribution.
- Zapsplat includes individual sounds and sound effects packs
- NASA sounds
- BBC Sound Effects library
- Music Radar free samples library has some great sound effects packs included in their huge list such as Horrorscape, Retro Video Game, Cartoon, Real World Sounds (they’re listed alphabetically)
- Sound Bible
- Free Sound Effects (some free ones on this site, plus paid ones)
- Free SFX
- YouTube Audio Library
Want more help? Music tech lesson plans and online courses
If you want simple, effective ideas for using technology in music education, I would LOVE to help you inside the Midnight Music Community.