Listen to the episode here (or on your favourite podcast app):
When students join Brad Fuller’s ProjectRnB music program, they are greeted with “Welcome to show business…!”
This episode is part 1 of my chat with Sydney based music educator Brad Fuller.
In 2012, Brad was contracted to redesign the teaching space at Northern Beaches Christian School where he is now the director of music. The redesign of the physical space is innovative and works hand in hand with Brad’s unique approach to teaching his year 7-12 students.
Technology plays a very big part by helping Brad and his colleague Peter teach effectively and by helping the students work independently.
Here’s a video featuring Brad’s students that gives you an idea of what the teaching space is like:
Zones within the teaching space
Brad and Peter’s teaching space is made up of a number of zones. Students use each zone for a specific activity type and rotate through the zones every 20 minutes.
The zones include:
- The Creation Station – capture musical ideas
- The Jam Station – where students jam with their band members
- Stage – practice and performance area. Used for the Friday live stream performances.
- Suites – mixing, mastering and overdubbing
Other useful links:
- Earlier photos of the music space at Northern Beaches Christian School
- Music Class In Northern Beaches Christian School – a look at Brad and Peter’s music teaching space James Humberstone’s free online course The Place of Music in 21st Century Education
- Brad and Peter on The Learning Capacity Podcast
- The Northern Beaches Christian School website
- Free training mentioned in the show: How To Create An An Interactive Wall Display For Your Classroom (PD certificate provided for training)
Midnight Music Community: special rate for MTT podcast listeners
The Midnight Music Community (MMC) is an online space for music teachers interested in learning more about music technology. There are online courses, lesson plans and lots of other resources for Chromebooks, iPads, Macs and PCs. Professional development certificates are available for all training undertaken by MMC members and I am in the Community everyday, personally answering questions and offering advice to members.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Here’s how YOU can help
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with your friends and colleagues. It really helps to get the word out about the show.
I would also be so happy if you would consider taking a couple of minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and I read every single one of them personally!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.