Productivity tips for music teachers – part A
Technology is a big part of my everyday life and has helped me improve my productivity in many ways. Over the next two episodes I’ll discuss some of the tech tools that I use on a daily basis to make me more efficient and organised (well, most of the time!).
In part A we’ll look at how to save ALL your passwords without having to remember a single one, how to keep track of your to-do list and how to be kind to your future self by using templates and procedures.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
1. Manage your passwords
2. Task and project management and to-do lists
- Asana – I use Asana to manage my work and home-related projects and tasks
- Trello – another option some of my friends use (there’s an in-depth run-down on Trello and how to use it here if you’re interested in finding out more)
3. Templates and procedures
Set up templates and procedures as a kindness to your “future self”. Useful resources:
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word or Excel
- Email templates (“canned responses” in Gmail or Templates in Outlook)
- Text Expander
In part B, I’ll cover:
- How to backup your stuff
- What to do when you have problems with a website that won’t load
- How to retrieve old websites or webpages
- How to save and share links
- How to speed up the student assessment process
- How to learn songs quickly
Download a copy of this
During the episode I mentioned that I presented this information in a one-day conference. You can download a copy of the slides from that conference by clicking on the button below. It will be sent straight to your email inbox.
How to listen to this episode
You can listen to this podcast episode in a couple of different ways:
- Listen right here by clicking on the play button on the player at the top of this page (pause by clicking in the same place)
- Listen on your device (a smartphone, iPad or other tablet) by subscribing through iTunes or Stitcher. It’s totally FREE! This is my favourite way to listen because I can do other things at the same time (drive somewhere, run, workout, cook, clean…!)
Midnight Music Community: special rate for MTT podcast listeners
The Midnight Music Community (MMC) is an online space for music teachers interested in learning more about music technology. There are online courses, lesson plans and lots of other resources for Chromebooks, iPads, Macs and PCs. Professional development certificates are available for all training undertaken by MMC members and I am in the Community everyday, personally answering questions and offering advice to members.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Here’s how YOU can help
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with your friends and colleagues. It really helps to get the word out about the show.
I would also be so happy if you would consider taking a couple of minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and I read every single one of them personally!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.