Start simply by providing students with partially-made scores and discover ways to “accidentally” teach software skills.
We’ll run through a series of adaptable activities that will suit Sibelius beginners of almost any age from Year 3 – Year 12 including:
- basic transcription and ear-training tasks
- easy ways to introduce compositional techniques like retrograde, augmentation, diminution, and inversion
- composing simple rhythmic accompaniments
- re-writing lyrics to a well-known piece
- adding or changing dynamics
- varying tempo and musical style
- experimenting with instrumentation
- using Sibelius playback for instant feedback
Behind-the-scenes teacher tips include: setting up Sibelius scores effectively for student use, ways to approach note input skills, quick copy and paste methods, entering text objects correctly in Sibelius to affect playback.